This post is inspired by a blog I read, Modern Mrs Darcy. Each winter(ish) she will write a similar post. In her words, this is how it came about:
“The idea comes from author Barbara Brown Taylor. In her memoir Leaving Church, Taylor tells about a time she was invited to speak, and her host assigned her this topic: “Tell us what is saving your life right now.”
It’s a good question. Most of us know what’s killing us, and can articulate it, if asked. But few of us pay attention to what’s giving us life. The question invites you to do just that.
Taylor says it’s too good a question not to revisit from time to time, and I agree. I borrowed Taylor’s idea last year, and began keeping a running list—a literal, physical list—of the things that are saving my life right now.”
This inspired her to write about the things – both big and little – that are saving her during difficult times or phases of life. It made me pause…as we are going through a really tough time right now. My mother recently had knee replacement surgery and although surgery went well, post surgery came with several complications. As we have been working through this with my mom and helping plan a course to get her healthy again, several things have truly been saving my life right now. This is a list of some of those things:
- Friendships: Being able to reach out and call or text my friends throughout this time has been life-saving. Sometimes you just need to admit you are scared or that you don’t feel you know how to handle a situation…and have your friends remind you that you are loving, kind and competent and truly able to handle anything that comes your way. We all need this reminder sometimes; I’m thankful for good friends that are so supportive when I need it the most.
- Family: This goes hand-in-hand with friendships in my mind. Having my husband to talk/text with and sharing all the decision-making with my sister and brother has been a tremendous relief. It’s good to know I’m not in this alone.
- My workouts: For me being able to get in a workout – either my regular classes at Brickhouse Fitness, a kettlebell workout at home, or going for a walk – is keeping me sane. Doing something physical and active takes all my focus for the moment and I can forget about everything else temporarily.
- Coffee: Yep, it’s true…getting a venti mocha latte from Starbuck’s just makes my heart happy. 🙂
- Books: Sitting at the hospital for hours on end has been much more enjoyable because I’m reading some good books! I love reading and the up-side of spending time in the hospital has been the ability to get in some quality quiet reading time.
- My dogs: When I am home, life is definitely better in part because of my dogs, Kona and Lucy. They make me laugh and demand belly rubs and snuggles and are always happy to see me.
- Spark: This natural energy drink from Advocare is how I start every morning… Yes, even before coffee! It give me an energy boost as well as ensuring I get a bunch of vitamins and amino acids in before dealing with the stress of the day or before my workout.
These are just a few of the things that are keeping me moving and sane these days. How about you? What’s saving your life right now?